I know, I know, I had you at tofu pizza. If you’re a die hard gooey, cheesy pizza lover, I don’t think this is for you. If you want a pizza experience that’s a little different and vegan friendly, this is for you. Again, the original recipe is from Big Girls, Small Kitchen and I just changed a few small things to my taste. They make their own dough and everything which I’m sure it great but it’s a little much for my weeknight dinners. This pizza is even better the 2nd day.
prepared pizza dough
1 box firm tofu
1 head garlic, cloves peeled and left whole
2 sprigs rosemary
about 1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
prepared pizza suace
Freshly ground pepper
Red pepper flakes
2 large white onions
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Put the garlic and rosemary in a small ovenproof dish. Pour olive oil over to completely immerse the cloves, then wrap tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, until the garlic is completely soft. Remove the rosemary.
2. While your garlic is cooking, slice the onions and begin to saute them with a little olive oil. Caramelizing onions can take up to 45 minutes on medium heat. The trick is to leave them alone enough to caramelize but move them around enough so that they don’t burn. You’ll know they’re done when they are about 1/2 the volume and brown in color.
3. Prepare the tofu by cutting it into 6 slices. Place the slices on a dish towel, then cover them with another dish towel and a heavy book. Leave to drain for 30 minutes.
4. Crumble the drained tofu into a large bowl. Add 1/3 cup of the garlic oil, plus about 6-8 cloves, mashing them as you go. Stir together, then add the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Taste for salt and add more as needed.
5. Turn the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare the pizza dough on your pizza stone or pan. Spread the pizza sauce first, then the onions and lastly the tofu.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, until the crust is risen and golden and the tofu has begun to brown. Let cool for a minute, then transfer to a cutting board and cut into rectangles.
**Image by me!**