Pizza fries are really just garlic Parmesan fries with pizza sauce as your dipping sauce instead of ketchup. I like to think I made it up but I’m sure I didn’t. I got the recipe for the fries themselves from the blog Return of the Yummy and just added spicy stuff to a store bought pizza sauce. Pair them with your favorite veggie burger for a full meal.
1-1/2 lbs russet potatoes (about 4 medium-sized ones), peeled or not
cooking oil spray
2 tsp canola oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup pizza sauce
1 teaspoon siracha sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Layer a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil.
- Using a knife or mandolin, slice potatoes into fries about 1/4″ thick. Blot away moisture as best as you can. (If you’re a slow chopper or are doubling the recipe, you may want to immerse your potatoes in water as you cut them so they don’t oxidize. Be sure to dry them thoroughly before baking.)
- Place the fries into a gallon-sized plastic bag along with the canola oil and salt. Seal the bag and massage the contents so that all the potatoes are well coated.
- Layer the fries onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading them out into a single layer as best as you can.
- Place the sheet into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the fries (I just kind of give them all a toss). Put them back in the oven for another 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- During the last minute or two of baking, heat the butter in a large pan. Saute the garlic for 30-45 seconds, making sure that they don’t brown. The garlic should remain soft for best flavor. Turn off the heat.
- Add the baked fries to the garlic and butter. Using tongs or a spatula, carefully move the fries around (they’re more delicate than their fried counterparts) so that they’re coated. Top with Parmesan and parsley. Give everything a quick toss.
- Stir the pizza sauce with the siracha and dip your crispy fries in them.
**Image also by Return of the Yummy**